Friday 2 September 2016

Uni Edit: Keeping in touch with friends



Happy Friday folks! It honestly feels like I haven't posted in ages, I've just been so busy with family over the Bank Holiday or with work. But now I'm back and it's September already! Where has 2016 gone? It won't be long until the long nights roll in and I start seeing Christmas stuff everywhere - that's not entirely a bad thing though. September is always such a busy month for everyone, getting back into the swing of things with school, work, university etc. Lucky me doesn't have to go back to university until the end of this month though. It's crazy to think that I'll be beginning the second year of my degree in just a matter of weeks. First year went by far too quickly!
 
This time last year I had so many worries and concerns about starting university, especially because I was moving away from home and I didn't know anyone at all. I was worried about so many things; who was I staying with? What's my course going to be like? Will I like my course? Will I get along with the other students? How much is food going to cost me?? (The last one - very important!) But even though I was (I know this is cliché) starting a new chapter in my life, I didn't want to lose contact with any of my old friends. That was a big worry for me. And I'm sure I'm not alone, it's probably a big worry for a lot of students starting first year every year. So I'm just going to quickly run through some ways you can keep in contact with your old friends while away at university. Hopefully I'll be able to keep your home sickness at bay.  

    
 
FaceTime/Skype - I think if you're ever missing your friends or family members' faces back home, then FaceTime or Skype are the next best thing. When a voicemail or text won't cut it and you want to have a conversation face to face, definitely download either of them. Trust me, when the cold months arrive and you're wrapped up in your duvet because the heating won't come on (again) a friendly face will make you feel 10x better. FaceTime is easy enough to install in Apple products and Skype is basically the same thing on a laptop. With both, you can exchange video and audio calls, messages and much more. You'll never feel lonely at University with these two installed.
 
Social Media - Whether you have Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, it has never been easier to connect with your friends or even your family while at university. With the ability to post photographs and videos, status' about your day and even private messages, you'll never miss what's happening in your friends' lives and vice versa. Honestly seeing a quick post or message from a friend can really lift your mood while at uni. So basically make sure you have all 3 before you start and then you'll definitely have a good idea on what's going on back home. 
 
Snapchat - Now I only got Snapchat when I first started university - literally in the first week. And I'm so glad that I did! It's such a simple way to stay in contact with your old AND new friends. Your able to take photos and videos and then send them to your contacts where they can see them for several seconds. It's hilarious, I love all the different filters. It's great when you end a stressful day of lectures to look at your phone and find a funny video from your friend. Just makes your day that much better.
 
Phone Call - Yes, a good old fashioned phone call. They still exist. If your friends aren't that great with technology then a phone call at the end of the day is a great way to keep up to date with everything. And if you and your friends are all on the same phone contracts then it won't cost a thing to make a call, even better!
 
So there you have it. Hopefully that helps with anyone's worries about old friendships while at university. You can still keep them strong as long as you stay in touch every once in a while. I know a lot of people will be starting university very soon and reading something like this might help. Also if you have any questions about university life, don't be afraid to ask. It can be hard keeping friendships alive sometimes, especially when you don't see each other that often. But it's well worth it in the end.
 
Thanks for reading guys, until next time.
Robert
 

No comments:

Post a Comment